Industry News Desk
Storage Insanity | @CloudExpo #Cloud #Storage #DataCenter
Humans are creatures of habit and when it comes to storage, old habits die hard
Aug. 24, 2016 04:10 PM
To paraphrase someone famous, "The definition of insanity is to do something the same way over and over again and expect a different result".
Humans are creatures of habit and when it comes to storage, old habits die hard.
Why do we continue to put our faith in legacy storage providers when they haven't invented anything new in decades. Sure, they re-badge their products every couple of years to make their messaging look modern, but ultimately, it's the same old stuff with a new coat of lipstick.
Asides from becoming smaller, faster and cheaper to acquire, but much more expensive and complex to run, storage technology is exactly as it was when it was released 60 or 70 years ago.
There is no real intelligence built into storage for heterogeneous environments and much of the heavy lifting is done by the storage admins which is hugely risky and costly.
Most storage vendors will tell you that their stuff is different, but ultimately, they all require that you buy their new and proprietary systems which lock you in to their hardware with no easy way out without (again) huge risk and cost. Groundhog day!
Even the new guys in town, the folks with hyper-converged systems require that you buy their hardware which means you're stuck again. Everything old is new again .
How about service levels or QoS for your data? Again, if you have some semblance of QoS for data on conventional vendors hardware, you're trapped into their product.
Sure, SSDs give you great performance at a cost, but you're not going to replace all your storage with it. Also, whilst SSD provides performance, the way you are asked to configure and manage it is exactly the same way you are asked to configure and manage your existing spinning stuff.
- The ability to use your existing heterogeneous legacy storage (SSD, SAN, NAS, DASD, Cloud) regardless of where it resides or what it is connected to
- Presenting all your storage to any application that needs it on your whole geographically dispersed environment
- Not having to configure RAID and actually having all of your storage usable
- Choosing QoS with the click of a button and then having Artificial Intelligence take care of it
- Data automatically moved between fastest and slowest storage based on the QoS wishes and usage
- Monitoring and reporting on your QoS and usage in real time
- Moving data for redundancy
- Having multiple copies of data in multiple places for redundancy or re-use
- Deploying storage to apps in minutes not weeks
- Zero hardware vendor lock in - you choose who you play with
The above exists and can be done today using patent pending software but not if you continue to use your existing storage vendor..
With data being the new currency and critical to modern businesses, your storage management life isn't going to get any easier if you continue to operate the way you're currently doing. In fact, every day you wait is a day closer to a disaster which could significantly impact your business and career.
To paraphrase another famous person, "It is not the fittest who survive, but species that adapt and change".
Now is your time to embrace change.