SAP and Sybase Launch Next Wave of Mobile Apps
Mobile Apps for iOS, BlackBerry, Android and Windows Mobile Put the Power of Enterprise Applications in Employees' Hands
Nov. 9, 2011 02:00 AM
SAP AG and Sybase, Inc., an SAP company and industry leader in enterprise and mobile software, today unveiled the next wave of mobile apps designed for a wide range of industries and mobile workers, from executives to knowledge and task workers. With this new wave of mission-critical apps, which range from process-driven to consumer-facing, SAP continues to expand the industry's most comprehensive mobile portfolio, including platform, apps and security. The announcement was made at SAPPHIRE® NOW + SAP® TechEd, being held as a co-located event in Madrid from November 8-10.
The new apps mobilize key business functions, allowing employees to work at anytime and from anywhere via mobile devices, freeing them from the confines of their desks. This strong momentum of app development further demonstrates SAP's speed of innovation in meeting the demand of business users who now expect the mobile experience provided by consumer apps. The development is being driven by SAP and its partners, powered by Sybase® Unwired Platform.
"The integrated platform and application story of SAP and Sybase is strong with the delivery of apps to market --in the past, 3- to 6-month development cycles would be unheard of with companies of this size; this speaks to SAP's commitment to speed innovation," said Nick McQuire, research director, Enterprise Mobility Strategies EMEA, IDC. "Companies are seeking the productivity and process improvements, cost reduction and business transformation opportunities that mobile applications can provide. This perfect storm of mobile device proliferation, 3G adoption, employee mobility and consumer app demand is propelling mobile enterprise applications up the CIO agenda."
In order for customers to quickly access and download the new mobile apps, SAP is introducing SAP® Store for mobile apps, an "enterprise ready" app store that offers the ease of use and familiarity of a consumer app store and addresses the unique needs of enterprise customers. SAP Store is available both via website and through an on-device version for iOS called "SAP Mobile Apps," with Android, BlackBerry and other operating systems to follow. Users can access the on-device version via the industry-leading Afaria® mobile device management solution. Apps provided by SAP and certified apps built by the broad SAP partner ecosystem are available on the SAP Store. Customers can download and evaluate these apps before they buy and can directly request quotes. SAP plans to soon offer customers the ability to purchase apps directly via SAP Store and continue to make it easier to distribute and deploy mobile apps in an enterprise.
"SAP's strong momentum in bringing to market waves of mobile apps is driven by tremendous customer demand to unwire their enterprise," said Dr. Raj Nathan, executive vice president, Sybase, and head of Mobile Applications, SAP. "Not only does SAP see this market opportunity, we have a rapidly expanding network of partners in the mobile space that continue to grow with us. We foresee SAP partners contributing 80 percent of mobile application development in support of SAP solutions to further meet customers' mobility needs."
Mobilizing Patient Care
Medical practitioners are coming under increasing pressure to improve the quality, safety and efficiency of patient care. The SAP® Electronic Medical Record mobile app provides instant access to patient records, tracks information at the point of care and allows for collaboration with other healthcare professionals. Key features include access to up-to-date information on vital parameters, images, progress notes, contact information, diagnoses and problems. With instant access to patient data and images, healthcare providers are able to make better decisions, collaborate with colleagues, and improve clinical outcomes.
"With SAP Electronic Medical Record, we can access patient information reliably and in real time," said Hagen Hupperts, project manager IT, Charite. "It makes work easier for doctors and shortens waiting times for patients The mobile app presents information in an easy-to-use format that supports the clinical workflow. We can extract information from SAP and non-SAP systems and deliver it on a mobile device."
To see how Charite is using the SAP Electronic Medical Record mobile app to give its healthcare professionals on-the-go access to patient health records, see: "Charite: Customer Testimonial Video."
Mobilizing Field Sales and Service
To increase productivity and accelerate results, it is essential for field sales and service employees to have access to all the information and people they need on mobile devices. The following apps allow these road warriors to keep business moving forward, increase revenues and update the business in real time:
- SAP® Field Service mobile app provides field service engineers a 360-degree customer view to support and update customer activities in real time. New features in the 2.0 version are planned to include install base management, spare parts management, survey and signature capture.
- SAP® CRM Sales mobile app equips sales professionals with the tools needed to increase revenue, accelerate buying decisions, and maximize productivity. New features in the 2.0 version aim to support lead-to-order process, and are planned to include enhanced account, contacts, lead, opportunity, activity, quotes and order management, using sales tools such as account factsheet, follow-ups, attachments, discounts and native device integration called "Near Me."
- SAP® Retail Execution mobile app helps consumer goods manufacturers increase sales productivity by capturing product and competitive information during store visits, along with providing merchandisers and promotions planners with critical business insights. New features in the 2.0 version are planned to include product level audits, order taking, returns management and a calendar to schedule visits.
Mobilizing Everyday Citizens and Socializing Government
Cities can now connect with citizens willing to help their municipalities do an even better job, while saving cost and improving service. Using the SAP® Citizen Connect mobile app, citizens can take a picture of an issue and locate, categorize and describe it to local authorities and then receive status updates on reported issues, such as graffiti, trash removal or street light or pothole repair. Compared to calling in, the mobile app automates the process to a high degree, reducing workload for call center agents and improving government efficiency while providing citizens convenient self-service capabilities 24/7. Municipalities can easily configure the service categories, adapting them to seasonal changes like snow removal, or respond quickly to events such as heavy weather or earthquakes. Key features include camera, GPS, service category and description text.
Mobilizing Data: Making Business Decisions Anytime, Anywhere
Mobile workers need to instantly respond to changing business conditions to make better and faster decisions, when they matter most. Two new mobile apps from the SAP® BusinessObjects(TM) portfolio -- SAP® Strategy Management mobile app and SAP® BusinessObjects(TM) Mobile software -- give the mobile worker access to data and allow for on-the-go collaboration. For more information, see: "Business Analytics from SAP Moves to the Masses, Delivering Greater Value to Business Professionals."
Mobilizing Employees To Be Empowered On The Go
In today's' fast-paced technology world, workers need to move at the speed of business. The following apps empower the new mobile workforce by delivering more consumable information and processes:
- SAP® Transport Notification and Status mobile app displays freight order details and reports the status of deliveries using predefined events, which improves communication and allows for faster decisions and delivery by providing planning information for the driver and execution information for the planner.
- SAP® Transport Tendering mobile app enables carriers, such as a trucking company, to receive requests for quotation (RFQ) for a potential freight delivery. Carriers can accept RFQs directly, reject them with a specified reason or accept them with changes.
- SAP® GRC Access Approver mobile app facilitates review, time-sensitive approvals and operation-critical access requests for managers, allowing authorized employees to gain access to systems and continue their work in a timely manner.
- SAP® GRC Policy Survey mobile app allows sales employees to keep track of the latest policy changes within their organization and complete policy-related surveys.